HARLINGEN, TX- Construction progresses on projects and upgrades as part of the Rider 38 Grant Program.
In March, crews broke ground on five projects made possible by $5.262 million awarded by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) Rider 38 Grant for transportation improvement and service expansion. Grant money, along with $1.75 million in matching funds, will create more truck queuing areas along Port and Cemetery Rd., which a portion will also function as a breakbulk cargo laydown yard, and road refortification and resurfacing on Port Rd. And Robles Rd.
Construction is about 54 percent complete and on time with major milestones on many of the projects:
1: FM106 & Cemetery Rd: The most visible project for Port through traffic is the expansion, refortification or Port Road and the addition of a truck queuing area. All driveways have been poured leading into the queuing area and limestone has been laid on the surface. Port Road was razed and prepared for expansion and a base layer for reinforcement has been laid, which will include limestone and concrete.
2. FM 106 Extension: Further down 106, drainage, and driveways were created expanding the connection between Port Rd and the inside road of FM106, as well as a driveway into new tenant development for storage tanks and pumping stations.
3. Port Rd.: Replacing of the railroad crossing on Port Road has been completed.
4. Port Rd. Near Dock: The laydown yard/truck queuing has been cleared out, laid out and a base layer of limestone has been installed. Drainage development is underway for this area.
5. Port Rd. North Bound Extension: The road has been razed leading to Port Property awaiting development. Drainage systems are set to be installed next.
6. Robles Rd.: The road has been razed and prepped the next step of for resurfacing.
“We have already seen improvements in traffic and vital use of the road expansions that we are able to utilize. As projects are completed, we anticipate an even more significant improvement in truck traffic and movement for not only our tenants, but the through traffic that crosses the Port every day,” said Port Director Walker Smith.
Smith said all projects are set to be completed in April 2022.
For more information, contact Amy Lynch, director of Marketing and Public Relations, at (956) 423-0823 or at email@example.com
FM 106 to Port Road:
FM 106 Extension:
Port Road Rail Road Crossing:
Port Road Near Dock:
Port Road North Bound Extension: